Here are some tips that can help you cope with stress during the COVID-19 outbreak:
- Avoid watching or reading news about COVID-19 that makes you feel anxious.
- Limit reading or watching news about COVID-19 to once or twice a day.
- Get the facts about COVID-19 and share them with others. Check reputable sites such as CDC and WHO for information.
- Take care of yourself — eat healthy, get enough sleep and get regular exercise. Consider deep breathing, stretching and meditation exercises.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Do something you enjoy, such as reading a book, watching a movie or going on a walk.
- Keep connected with family and friends. Share your feelings with them.
- Aim to be positive and optimistic.
- Show appreciation for health care workers who care for those with COVID-19 in your community.
If stress is affecting your daily life after several days, contact your doctor. He or she may suggest that you talk to a mental health professional.