What is Laparoscopic Surgery?
Laparoscopic surgery is also known minimally invasive surgery (MIS), or keyhole surgery. The procedure is a modern surgical technique in which operations are performed through small incisions elsewhere in the body. Technically the meaning of laparoscopy is surgical procedure, where a fibre-optic instrument is inserted through, the abdominal wall to view and asses the organs in the abdomen or permit surgical procedures.
It can be diagnostic laparoscopy or surgical laparoscopy, depending on the indication.
What are some of the laparoscopy procedures?
Gastroenterology Invasive Surgery/laparoscopic treatment of:
- Removal or repair of the gallbladder and appendix.
- Removal ore repair of parts of the intestines.
- Removal or repair of the bladder, ureters, or kidneys
- Assessment of abdominal mass or any tumorous growth
- Treatment of liver disease
- Treatment of hernia
- Removal of a kidney in a living donor
- Bariatric Surgery
- To view sites of bleeding or internal trauma in abdomen cavity
Female Reproductive and Gynaecology laparoscopic treatment:
- Female sterilisation-tubal ligation
- Fibroids Treatment
- Cysts On The Ovaries
- Treating ectopic pregnancy.
- Treatment of Endometriosis
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Removal of patches of endometriosis
Taking a biopsy of various structures inside the abdomen for diagnostic purposes.
What are the benefits of laparoscopy surgeries compared to the conservative type of surgery?
- Less pain following the procedure.
- Less risk of complications.
- A shorter hospital stay and a quicker recovery.
- A much smaller scar.
How is laparoscopy surgery done?
Usually you will be asked not to eat or drink anything for 6-12 hours beforehand and certain mediation will be restricted to avoid complications.
- The procedure of Laparoscopy is done under general anaesthesia. In l this type of minimal invasive surgery a surgeon t then makes a small cut (incision) about 1-2 cm long near the navel on the abdomen.
- In a laparoscopy operation gas is injected through the cut to expand the abdominal wall slightly. It makes the visibility of the internal organs easier and then laparoscope is gently pushed through the incision into the abdominal cavity.
- In this type of minimal invasive surgery the laparoscopic surgeon views the internal structures through laparoscope, with the help of pictures on a TV monitor connected to it.
- The small incisions may be made in the abdominal skin allowing other thinner instruments to be pushed into the abdominal cavity for the necessary laparoscopic procedure.
- After the surgeon has finished the laparoscopy surgery, the laparoscope and other instruments are removed and the incisions are stitched and a dressing is applied.
What are the complications of the laparoscopy surgery?
- Chances of minor bleeding or bruising around the skin incisions.
- Accidental damage to certain internal structures inside the abdomen like as the intestines or certain blood vessels can happen.
- Small risk of complications of anaesthesia.
- The incision that is carried out for minimal invasive surgery can become infected
In case of further inquiries on minimal invasive surgery techniques and its benefits please contact our centres at Wockhardt Hospital.
Wockhardt Hospitals, a chain of tertiary care super-specialty hospitals has more than 25 years of experience in the creation and management of Super Specialty Hospitals in India.
We are a premiere hospital in the country specializing in the treatment of digestive disorders. We provide comprehensive digestive care to our patients. Our Minimal Invasive Surgery Department at Wockhardt Hospitals makes it a centre for excellence with our clinical expertise and infrastructure, to treat such conditions needing advanced laparoscopic surgery. For further information visit our Minimal Invasive Surgery Department at Wockhardt Hospital.
Wockhardt Hospitals is regarded as a centre of excellence the healthcare domain, having facilities in North Mumbai (Mira road), South Mumbai (Mumbai Central), Navi Mumbai (Vashi), Nagpur, Nasik, Rajkot and Surat. Wockhardt Hospitals has state-of-the-art infrastructure. Our prime objective is patient safety and quality of care at all levels. The guiding philosophy is to serve and enrich the Quality of Life of patients and to make life win.
You must be logged in to post a comment.