Cirrhosis is a liver disease where the normal healthy tissue is replaced by scar tissue. Due to this the liver is not able to perform its regular functions. The disease is a slow progressing and blood flow is blocked in the liver, hampering the production of vital substance, from the liver affecting the overall health status of an individual.
The liver is the biggest organ in the human body and is responsible for various functions. It plays a major role in metabolism and removal of harmful substances in the bloodstream, including drugs and alcohol. It stores excess nutrients .It manufactures protein s for haemolytic activity of the body. Helps in digestion by producing bile and stores glucose in the form of glycogen. It aids in fat metabolism.
Some causes of Liver Cirrhosis are:
Alcohol abuse, CHRONIC LIVER infection like hepatitis B & C, Fatty liver associated with obesity and diabetes are the most common causes of cirrhosis of the liver.
Some significant Symptoms include:
Liver Cirrhosis often has no signs or symptoms until liver damage is extensive.
Some include Fatigue, Bleeding easily, Itchy and Yellow discoloration in the skin and eyes
Fluid accumulation in the abdomen with Loss of appetite and feeling of Nausea. Swelling in your legs and Weight loss.
It can progress to hepatic encephalopathy causing Confusion, drowsiness and slurred speech
Diagnosis of liver disease:
Before treatment of liver disease, the doctor will carry out investigations for diagnosis and progress of the disease. This will help to plan out the liver disease treatment. The tests include, for the cure to Liver Cirrhosis:
- Liver function
- Kidney function.
- Blood Clotting.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the liver
- CT and ultrasound of the liver.
- A tissue sample biopsy
Treatment for Liver Cirrhosis:
Treatment for liver cirrhosis depends on the cause and extent of liver damage.
The main aim of liver disease treatment is to slow the progression of scar tissue in the liver and to prevent or treat symptoms and complications of liver cirrhosis. AS PART OF treatment for cirrhosis hospitalization maybe recommended.
Some modalities in cirrhosis treatments are:
- Conservative treatment of liver cirrhosis
- For Treatment of liver cirrhosis, reduce alcohol dependency through support groups in case of addiction or refraining from alcohol.
- Weight loss and control blood sugar levels.
- Medications to control hepatitis can be given to prevent hepatitis infections.
- Drugs to control other causes and symptoms of cirrhosis as support line are given in the cirrhosis of the liver treatment
- Nutritional supplements can be given as well.
- A low-sodium diet is recommended for liver cirrhosis treatment and medication to prevent fluid build-up in the body as one of the complication of the liver disease
- Blood pressure medications ARE GIVEN TO control increase pressure in the veins that supply the liver (portal hypertension) and prevent severe bleeding.
- Antibiotics or other treatments for infections are recommended.
- Drugs to help prevent the build-up of toxins in your blood due to poor liver function can be prescribed to control Hepatic encephalopathy
C) Liver transplantation (liver surgery)
Liver transplant may be the only treatment option where the vital functioning capacity of the liver ceases. Liver transplant replaces the diseased liver with a healthy liver from a deceased donor or with part of a liver from a living donor.
Liver Cirrhosis is the most common reason for a liver transplant and at Wockhardt Hospital we can provide this option having the infrastructure, clinical expertise and a transplant coordination team to assist in various organ donation protocols (liver donor or cadaver donor). All potential candidates for liver transplant undergo extensive testing to determine whether they are healthy enough to have a successful outcome following liver surgery.
To know about liver cirrhosis, liver transplant surgery, treatment option for liver diseases or any digestive care condition, please contact our centres at Wockhardt Hospital.
Wockhardt Hospitals, a chain of tertiary care super-specialty hospitals has more than 25 years of experience in the creation and management of Super Specialty Hospitals in India.
We are a premiere hospital in the country specializing in the treatment of digestive disorders. We provide comprehensive digestive care to our patients. The digestive care centre at Wockhardt Hospitals makes it a centre for excellence with our clinical expertise, to treat such conditions affecting the digestive system. For further information or any gastroenterology services or liver transplant related query visit our experts at Wockhardt Hospital.
Wockhardt Hospitals is regarded as a centre of excellence the healthcare domain, having facilities in North Mumbai (Mira road), South Mumbai (Mumbai Central), Navi Mumbai (Vashi), Nagpur, Nasik, Rajkot and Surat. Wockhardt Hospitals has state-of-the-art infrastructure. Our prime objective is patient safety and quality of care at all levels. The guiding philosophy is to serve and enrich the Quality of Life of patients and to make life win.