Mindfulness means focusing on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting your feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations.
The practices of mindfulness apply to mindful eating as well, but the concept of mindful eating goes beyond the individual. It also encompasses how what you eat affects the world.
Although the ideal mindful-eating food choices are similar to the Mediterranean diet centered on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, seeds, nuts, and vegetable oil. Mindful eating means being fully attentive to your food—as you buy, prepare, serve, and consume it.
Several Practices for mindful eating to aid weight loss:
1. Begin with your shopping list. Consider the health value of every item you add to your list and stick to it to avoid impulse buying when you’re shopping. Fill most of your cart in the produce section and avoid the center aisles which are heavy with processed foods and the chips and sweets at the check-out counter.
2. Come to the table with an appetite but avoid overeating: If you skip meals, the hunger pangs will cause one to over eat,this will increase to weight gain. So when you come to the table have the thoughts of enjoying the meal not filling the stomach.
3. Begin with a small portion. It may be helpful to limit the size of your plate to nine inches or less.
4. Appreciate and relish your food. Take a minute or two before you begin eating to contemplate on how your meal came toyour table. Silently express your gratitude for the opportunity to enjoy delicious food and the companions you’re enjoying it with.
5. Activate all your senses whilst eating: When you’re cooking, serving, and eating your food, be attentive to color, texture, aroma, and even the sounds different foods make as you prepare them. As you chew your food, try identifying all the ingredients, especially seasonings.
6. Take small bites. It’s easier to taste food completely when your mouth isn’t full. Put down your cutlery between bites.
7. Chew thoroughly. Chew well until you can taste the essence of the food. Chew each mouthful 20 to 40 times, depending on the food. You may be surprised at all the flavors that are released.
8. Eat slowly. If you follow the advice above, you won’t rush to complete your meal. Devote at least five minutes to mindful eating before you chat with your family.
These tips will allow you to appreciate your meal and reduce overeating . Its a good way to control your diet and eating habits aiding in weight gain without physical activity. So put your mind into action too for controlling your weight.