Dentistry is the branch of medicine that is involved in the study, diagnosis, prevention, and dental treatment of diseases, of the oral cavity and is the basis of family dentistry practices in India today.
However, today the field of dental treatment has expanded into various specialities due to the different dental problems that are arising in its field.
Dentistry can be further divided in various sub- specialities depending on the area of treatment:
- Cosmetic surgery is dental treatment: It is a branch of dentistry which deals with dental treatment that improves the appearance of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite. Common procedures include bleaching, bonding, crowns, veneers and reshaping and contouring.
- Orthodontics, here dentists: is the branch of dentistry that corrects teeth, gaps in teeth and jaws that are positioned improperly.
- Prosthodontics is the area of dentistry that focuses on dental prostheses , and maintenance of the oral function, comfort, appearance and health of patients with clinical conditions associated with missing or deficient teeth
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: It is surgery to treat many diseases, injuries and defects in the head, neck, face, jaws and the hard and soft tissues of the oral (mouth) and Maxillofacial (jaws and face) region.
- Endodontists are dentists who specialize in saving teeth through different procedures which involve the pulp (nerve) and root of teeth. They deal with patients coming with dental facial pain, dental traumatic injuries, root canal treatment etc.
- Paediatric dentistry (kids dentist) dealing with common dental procedures in children inclusive of surgeries.
- Dental Hygiene: Dental hygiene is the practice of keeping the mouth and teeth clean to prevent dental problems, most commonly, dental cavities, gingivitis, periodontal (gum) diseases and bad breath. These conditions include gingivitis, periodontitis, and dental trauma, oral cysts, and wisdom tooth extraction. This forms part of preventive dentistry.
These are the common complaints one has when he would visit a dentist:
- Severe, persistent, throbbing toothache that can radiate to the jawbone, neck or ear.
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures.
- Swelling in your face or cheek or Tender, swollen lymph nodes under your jaw or in your neck.
- Visible holes or pits in your teeth- cavities
- Brown, black or white staining on any surface of a tooth
Common dental procedures performed by dentists at dental clinics:
- Applying composite tooth bonding is a restorative procedure that uses tooth enamel-coloured composite resin (plastic) to repair teeth that are decayed, chipped, fractured or discoloured
- Braces: A dental brace is a device used to correct the alignment of teeth and bite-related problems (including under bite, overbite, etc.).
- Bridges and Implants: are implants are to replace a missing tooth or teeth. Bridges are false teeth anchored in place by neighbouring teeth. Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth..
- Crowns and Caps: Crowns are dental restorations that protect damaged, cracked or broken teeth. Dental crowns, often referred to as caps
- Extractions: When a severely damaged tooth may need to be extracted.
- Dentures: prosthetic devices replacing lost teeth. There are two types of dentures – partial and full. Full dentures are often referred to as “false teeth”.
- Dental fillings and repairs: use restorative materials to repair teeth which have been compromised due to cavities or trauma.
- Gum Surgery: In case of periodontal or gum disease infection gingivitis and periodontitis, affects the gums and jaw bone, which can lead to a loss of gum and teeth.
- Oral Cancer screening is usually a routine part of a dental examination..
- Root Canals treat diseases or abscessed teeth..
- Dental sealants: usually applied to the chewing surface of teeth, act as a barrier against decay-causing bacteria. Most often, the sealants are applied to the back teeth, e.g., premolars and molars.
- Teeth Whitening for staining may be caused by various foods and beverages , drugs etc
- Veneers: used to repair chipped, decayed or stained teeth and may help in closing gaps between teeth. There are two main types of material used to fabricate a veneer: composite and dental porcelain.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery which is a field specialised in dental surgery:
Some areas for treatment covered are:
- Dentoalveolar surgery tooth-bearing part of the jaws, including impacted teeth, complex tooth extractions, cysts and lesions of the oral mucous membranes.
- Treatment of Ulcers, infections and diseases of the mouth.
- Surgically moving the jaws and correction of anomalies of the face and mouth
- Oral and facial cancers
- Salivary gland diseases
- Facial pain
- Treatment, including surgery for disorders of the temporomandibular (TM) joints
- Management of cleft lip and palate patients
For any common dental complaints and specialised dental surgery please visit our centres at Wockhardt hospital. Our trained and experienced dentists will be able to manage and assist any of you complaints. Our dental department is a highly specialised with infrastructure and facilities to carry our various procedures.
Wockhardt Hospitals, a chain of tertiary care super-specialty hospitals has more than 25 years of experience in the creation and management of Super Specialty Hospitals in India.
Wockhardt Hospitals have been regarded as centres of excellence in medical science with facilities in North Mumbai (Mira road), South Mumbai (Mumbai Central), Navi Mumbai (Vashi), Nagpur, Nasik, Rajkot and Surat. Wockhardt Hospitals is having state-of-the-art infrastructure whose prime objective is patient safety first and quality of care at the core of its strategy. The guiding philosophy is to serve and enrich the Quality of Life of patients and to make life win.