World Spine Day 2017
The world spine day is celebrated on 16th October every year. It is a day set to create awareness about the spine and how to effectively manage spine disorder.
A healthy Spine is an important aspect in our lives. Every movement you make would be impossible without the help of the spine. It helps in standing upright, bending and even twisting. It also connects the brain to the rest of the body, assisting in controlling the movements.
This day is all about sensitizing the masses on the importance of developing a healthy posture and introducing some more movement in their day today activities.
Special Tip on World Spine Day:
Keeping an upright posture is a key in living a disease free life as far as your spine is concerned.
- 80% of the people in the population will this day, there are a number of things you need to know about spinal disorders
- At one point in their lives suffer from spine neck pain or back pain.
- In low and middle income levels countries, age is one of the leading causes of spine pain.
- Back and neck pain symptoms are experienced by at least 50% of the working population. They are the two major reasons why people in work places seek leave
- Low back pain is the 6th most burdening disease.
Structure of spine:
The spine is made of 33 individual bones stacked one on top of the other.
- Cervical Spine. The seven cervical vertebrae are numbered C1 to C7. The neck has the greatest range of motion because of two specialized vertebrae that connect to the skull.
- Thoracic Spine – the main function of the thoracic spine is to hold the rib cage and protect the heart and lungs. The twelve thoracic vertebrae are numbered T1 to T12.
- Lumbar (low back) – the main function of the lumbar spine is to bear the weight of the body. The five lumbar vertebrae are numbered L1 to L5.
- Sacrum – the main function of the sacrum is to connect the spine to the bones (iliac). There are five sacral vertebrae, which are fused together. Together with the iliac bone hip
- Coccyx region – the four fused bones of the coccyx or tailbone provide attachment for ligaments and muscles of the pelvic floor.
Common causes of back pain:
Infections, injuries, bone changes that mostly results from aging and tumours are some of the possible causes of spinal disorders apart from the major ones.
Acute and Chronic Back Pain:
Back pain can come on suddenly and last less than six weeks which may be caused by a fall or heavy lifting. Back pain that lasts more than three months is less common than acute pain and is regarded as chronic.
Common Symptoms Include:
- Muscle ache
- Shooting or stabbing pain
- Pain that radiates down your leg
- Limited flexibility or range of motion of the back
Conditions commonly linked to back pain include:
- Muscle or ligament strain can occur due to repeated heavy lifting or a sudden awkward movement may strain back muscles and spinal ligaments.
- Bulging or ruptured disks can be another cause for back pain. Disks act as cushions between the bones (vertebrae) in your spine. The soft material inside a disk can bulge or rupture and press on a nerve. Arthritis or Osteoarthritis can affect the lower back.
- Skeletal irregularities e.g. Scoliosis, a condition in which your spine curves to the side, also may lead to back pain, but generally only if the scoliosis is severe.
- Osteoporosis a condition can develop due to compression fractures if your bones become porous and brittle.
- Other causes could due to spinal infections, post traumatic accidents like spinal injuries, narrowing of the spinal cord like in spinal stenosis and tumours pressing on the nerves can also cause back pain.
- Trauma in Spine due to fractures and dislocations
- Lower back pain causes: Strains. The muscles and ligaments in the back can stretch or tear due to excess activity.
- Disc Injury
- Spinal Stenosis
- Abnormal Spine Curvatures.
Treatment of spinal disorders:
- Sleep Better for Back Pain Relief
- Maintain good posture can make back pain worse, especially if you sit for long periods. Don’t slump over your keyboard. Sit upright with shoulders back.
- Pain killers: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and acetaminophen.
- Physiotherapy can help by mentioning back exercises to relive the pain
- Ice and heat packs
- Nerve pain stimulation in the back
- Spinal injections for back pain
- Spine Surgery is a surgical speciality which is dedicated to the restoration and preservation of spine functions by managing various spinal disorders. It includes both non-operative and complex operative treatment modalities.
At a glance, Spine Surgery is a combination of orthopaedic and neurosurgical surgery. The speciality comprises a gamut of spinal surgeries with an aim to relieve pain, stabilization of spine and decompression of spinal cord/nerves.
Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and Endoscopy:
- Spinal deformity (scoliosis, kyphosis) correction and instrumentation
- disc herniation
- degenerative disc disease requiring fusion
- vertebral compression fractures
These techniques start with small incisions, followed by surgery that’s assisted by an endoscope, microscope or x-ray guidance.
In general, the goal of minimally invasive spine surgery (MIS) surgery is to stabilize the vertebral bones and spinal joints and/or relieve pressure being applied to the spinal nerves — often a result of conditions such as a spinal instability, bone spurs herniated discs, scoliosis or spinal tumours.
Benefits of this type of surgery:
- Better cosmetic results from smaller skin incisions
- Less blood loss from surgery
- Reduced risk of muscle damage since less or no cutting of the muscle is required
- Reduced risk of infection and postoperative pain
- Faster recovery from surgery and less rehabilitation required
- Diminished reliance on pain medications after surgery
For further information on spinal conditions please contact Wockhardt Hospital.
About Wockhardt Hospital:
A 50-year-old legacy and tradition of caring is what Wockhardt Hospital stands on. Wockhardt Hospitals has been proactive in bringing innovative nurturing for better health. Wockhardt Hospitals has become a leading health service provider with its strong presence in the western parts of the country i.e. Mumbai, Nagpur Rajkot, Nasik and Surat. This group of 8 hospitals fulfils the need of the community in its chosen field of super specialty like Cardiology, Orthopaedics, Neurology, Gastroenterology, Urology, Aesthetics and Minimal Access Surgery.
The department of Bone and Joint at Wockhardt Hospital provides a continuum of treatment and care with an integrated system of orthopaedic surgeons, supported by cutting edge technology and world class infrastructure. Our goal is to treat patient’s right from everyday aches and strains, sports injuries, trauma management to major joint replacement injuries.
At Wockhardt Hospital Spine Services Department is running A MULTI DISCIPLIANRY program in the country by a team of dedicated and highly experienced spine surgeons, neurophysicians, pain block experts, physiotherapists and rehabilitation experts. The speciality has one of the best of state of the art equipment, world class infrastructure, and diagnostic services in achieving the right diagnosis and bringing about optimal care. The Spine surgery services department is well complimented by an excellent physical therapy and rehabilitation department.
Wockhardt Hospitals has state-of-the-art infrastructure. Our prime objective is patient safety and quality of care at all levels. The guiding philosophy is to serve and enrich the Quality of Life of patients and to make life win.
Wockhardt Hospitals follow process driven quality systems that adhere to international standards of clinical care, safe environment, infection control and respect for patient rights & privacy. Many of the Wockhardt group of hospitals has accreditation of the NABH (National Accreditation Board of Hospitals &Healthcare), the highest and the most stringent quality standards institution in India and the National authority in healthcare accreditation. To achieve high degree of clinical excellence, we have entered into strategic alliances with Partners Medical International, USA, whereby Wockhardt Hospitals has access to Harvard’s expertise and experience in the fields of surgery and other Medicare services. Wockhardt group of hospitals in India is a preferred destination for patients from Europe, USA, Africa, Middle East and South Asia.
You must be logged in to post a comment.