Importance on Preventive Health Care Today
The theme of World Health Day 2019 is Universal health coverage: everyone, everywhere. It is important to look after the Health of every people to make them more Stable and Strong to complete any task easily and quickly.
Health is a precious gift and defines complete wellness in our journey in life. “To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear”.
Let’s give a minute to think about your health. Today our workaholic attitudes, negligent eating practices, sedentary lifestyles and continuous stress, tend to make us sensitive to various ailments .It is estimated that over 61 per cent of all deaths in India are due to lifestyle or non-communicable diseases, an alarming statistics that concerns our population. It is now come to light that although India might be a third world country based on socio-economic development parameters, in terms of our lifestyle and health, we have the same morbidity profile of a first world nation. Lifestyle diseases like cardiovascular, diabetes, hypertension, asthma and respiratory as well as cancers are on the rise. Some of these diseases have emerged as more fatal than hereditary and infectious diseases
Let’s take a look at some common lifestyle disease and WHO stats for the same:
- Diabetes: India has the highest number of type 2 diabetics at 50.8 million according to the World Health Organization. This number is increasing as children are also getting afflicted.
- Heart Disease: Twenty-five million suffer from cardiovascular diseases which amount to 60% of the global figure. Main cause of this is Arteriosclerosis that occurs when the arterial blood vessel walls thicken and lose elasticity. This causes blood circulation disorders, chest pain, and heart attacks. Arteriosclerosis is also linked to obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure: 100 million Indians suffer from high blood pressure. Some reasons for high blood pressure are stress, obesity, genetic factors and unhealthy eating habits. High blood pressure, if not taken care of in time with proper treatment, can lead to a stroke.
- Obesity: Unhealthy eating habits, stressful lifestyle, and reduced physical activity translate to obesity and is on the rise in adults and children.
- Cancer: India has over two million registered cancer patients. This lifestyle disease is mainly caused by smoking, unhealthy diet, lack of physical activity, stress leading to lowered immunity and therefore the body’s inability to fight viruses and other infections and finally radiation from the sun.
- Cirrhosis: Cirrhosis is a group of liver disorders. The liver can be affected by heavy alcohol consumption and chronic hepatitis. This has become a common lifestyle disease as many people consume alcohol on a daily basis to deal with stress.
- Mental health: More than 10 per cent of the country’s population over the age of 18 suffers from various kinds of mental illnesses.
- Hormonal imbalance: Thyroid dysfunction is very common such as hypothyroidism. Women have ovarian diseases such as polycystic ovarian disorders, fibroids and menstrual disorders are very prevalent.
- Food allergies: It is suggested that 25-40 million people in India could be suffering from food allergies.
- Ear related diseases: due to continuous use of headphones and constant auditory stimulus with mobile phones can lead to a condition called swimmers ear.
- Respiratory diseases: India had an estimated 22.2 million chronic COPD patients and around 35 million chronic asthma patients.
Some Tips to prevent lifestyle diseases:
- A wholesome diet is absolutely essential for your health & wellbeing. Replace oily, junk food with healthy snacks .Drink plenty of water. Eat more of green veggies, fresh fruits, and calcium & fibre rich foods
- Any form of physical activity for a minimum of 30 minutes – 5 days a week should be part of your daily routine. Walking is considered as the best and safest form of exercise for people of all ages.
- Stop addictions, whether it is of alcohol, nicotine or any other form of drug, can ruin your health in the worst way possible.
- Monitor your weight as obesity can be an underlying cause of many life style diseases. Manage your weight by eating low-calorie, fat-free food and incorporate some form of workout in your daily routine.
- Preventive Health check-ups can offer a thorough analysis of your current health status. Moreover, it also helps in early diagnosis and timely treatment of any kind of illness. Schedule an appointment for a comprehensive health check-up once in every 6 months.
At Wockhardt Hospital we place a great emphasis on the value Preventive care as an important speciality as well. The service shifts the focus of health care from treating sickness to maintaining wellness and good health. The preventive health care packages, in the long run save your time and effort in treating major illnesses. The program is designed in ruling out various risk factors and diagnosing abnormalities and is designed to prevent or delay the onset of illness and disease. The centres have various tie up with health care insurance companies, government schemes and third party administrators for easy access to health for check- ups, inpatients services and outpatient services. These assist in providing coverage and various payment options for the patient to avail various health care treatments at Wockhardt Hospital.
The health packages at Wockhardt hospital comprise of Basic Health Check-up, Premium Health Check-up and Executive Heath check-up. All our packages have been carefully designed by a team of doctors for evaluation of haematological, lipid profile, systemic profile, cancer profile (kidney, liver, heart) and other diagnostic investigations taking into consideration common disease affecting the Indian scenario.
The packages cater to specific age groups and have a battery of recommended tests to choose from. Your complete report is evaluated by our renowned and established consultants for further management. The preventive health care packages are designed encompassing a healthy lifestyle, exercise, diet and physical evaluation and doctors’ advice.
Prevention is better than cure cannot be as well emphasised with health check programs at the hospital.
To know more about our health check-up packages and how you can avail the same please contact our centres at Wockhardt Hospital.