Perils of sitting for prolonged periods of time at your office desk. Sitting in an office chair for prolonged periods of time can definitely cause low back pain or worsen an existing back problem.
One of the main reasons for this is that when you sit in a static posture it causes stress in the back, shoulders, arms, and legs, and in particular, can add large amounts of pressure to the back muscles and spinal discs. Over time, incorrect sitting posture can damage spinal structures and contribute to or worsen back pain.
Other than back issues other complications include:
- High blood pressure
- Elevated cholesterol which can increase the risk of cardiovascular complications.
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Muscular degeneration and spinal issues
- Leg disorders associated with deep vein thrombosis
- Elevated stress levels.
Some corrective measures to avoid a back pain and other disorders:
- Get yourself a good chair in the office at the outset: The standard office chair has five legs in a star shape. The seat height must be adjustable, and the back rest must be adjustable in height and tilt. Ideally, the back rest should move independently of the seat to allow a comfortable position.
- When you’re sitting, your thighs should be at right angles to your body or sloping slightly down.
- Make it appoint to stand up every 30 minutes and stretch your back and sides. Also try Rotating your hips and shoulders form time to time.
- Take a break from you’re a work at the end 30 minutes and to connect with your colleague and walk over to their desks instead.
- Stretching exercises can help and reduce stain to muscles of the back and neck
- Climb stairs for a quick workout.
- Eat healthy and a balanced meal
- Perform Yoga
Today companies have to opt for a standing work desk or make changes to the employee working schedule by organising ergonomic sessions, stressing the importance of right sitting posture and regular exercise.
In case of any complaints related to back pain you can visit our Spine services at Wockhardt Hospital
The Spine Services Department is a MULTI DISCIPLIANRY program in the country run by a team of dedicated and highly experienced, neurophysicians, spine surgeons , pain block experts, physiotherapists and rehabilitation experts. The speciality has one of the best of state of the art equipment, world class infrastructure, and diagnostic services in achieving the right diagnosis and bringing about optimal care. The Spine surgery services department is well complimented by an excellent physical therapy and rehabilitation department.