“My name is Manish.” These were the first words spoken by the 19-year-old from Silvassa after he found his voice back, three years after he lost it when he drank pesticide to commit suicide in his village.
Manish Kuvara, who stays with his father, Devubhai, 45, his mother and two brothers in Dudhani village in Silvassa, had consumed pesticide when he was 16, under stress for his Class 10 exams. After a three-hour surgery at Wockhardt Hospital on Mira Road, he can now speak and is responding to treatment.
“We first admitted him to Vinobha Bhave Civil Hospital, Silvassa. Doctors said Manish’s trachea was injured because of which he lost his speech,” said Devubhai. “Since then, he would communicate with us in sign language. He quit going to school because of his speech impairment,” he said.
One of the doctors who treated Manish advised Devubhai and his family to take him to Wockhardt Hospital. Dr Neepa Vellimuttam, ENT surgeon, Wockhardt Hospital said surgery was the only solution and the family was informed about the high risk involved. “Manish’s trachea had become narrow leading to difficulty in breathing and a hole was made in his neck (tracheostomy) for breathing by the Silvassa doctors. As air could not pass into the vocal chords, Manish was unable to speak,” said Vellimuttam.
After the surgery, with the help of onco-surgeon, Dr Krutarth Thakur, and anaesthetist, Dr Vinita Sangai, Manish can now speak, said Vellimuttam. “He is now breathing and talking normally as we resected the tracheostomy and also the narrow part of the trachea,” said Vellimuttam. “My son got a second life,” said Devubhai. Manish will have to undergo further tests, said Vellimuttam.
- Wockhardt starts e-consultation amidst lockdown31 Mar, 2020
- 83-Year-Old Woman Suffering From Heart Attack Successfully Treated With TAVR Procedure27 Feb, 2020
- Wockhardt Doctors Remove 1.5 Inch Bottle Cap Stuck In An Infant's Throat19 Feb, 2020
- Life Wins: Successful Brain surgery gave new lease of Life to a Ghana Student12 Feb, 2020
- 70 Year Old Businessman Heart Stopped Beating for 10 Minutes Was Revived by Wockhardt Team12 Feb, 2020
- New technique of joint replacement surgery a boon for elderly patients at Wockhardt hospital, Nashik30 Jan, 2020
- Wockhardt Hospital Express Healthcare May 201910 Jun, 2019
- Increase in heart disease..18 Apr, 2019
- A minimal Invasive surgery for mitral valve in heart was successfully performed04 Apr, 2019
- Care Wins, Life Wins : Doctor creates controlled heart attack for good cause! : Wockhardt Hospital SOBO01 Mar, 2019