A 21-year-old brain-dead man's liver and kidneys were donated to save three lives by his mother, who is employed with a private hospital in Mira Road. His eyes too were donated.
On October 20, at 7.30pm, Pratik Uchil, a resident of Mira Road, was riding pillion with a friend. The rider lost control of the two-wheeler on Kashimira flyover and skid. Pratik, who was employed with a travel agency in Malad, fell on the road and was run over by a vehicle coming from the opposite direction. He was not wearing a helmet.
Pratik was taken to the nearby Orbit Hospital and later moved to Wockhardt Hospital in Mira Road, where doctors declared him brain dead on Saturday . Pratik's mother Rupa, who has been working in the billing department of Wockhardt Hospital since five years, decided to donate his organs. Hospital authorities said Rupa was aware of the organ donation drive after an awareness programme was held at the hospital.
The city has seen 50 cadaver donations so far this year. Crusaders of organ donation are hopeful that it will breach the record number of 58 donations last year.
- How Gujarat teen who attempted suicide found his voice after 3 years in Mumbai26 Apr, 2018
- Make Time for your health11 Apr, 2018
- Social acceptance helps reduce impact of autism, say doctors02 Apr, 2018
- News on the increase in Osteoarthritis in women and how to deal with it25 Mar, 2018
- Woman saves husband by donating part of her liver20 Mar, 2018
- Healthcare Provision Positive for Industry02 Feb, 2018
- 35 liver recipients, donors to take part in (Mumbai Marathon) Dream Run representing Wockhardt Hospital SOBO17 Jan, 2018
- Infant swallows pin,saved after surgery01 Dec, 2017
- Wockhardt's hat-trick of Green Corridor28 Nov, 2017