A 21-year-old brain-dead man's liver and kidneys were donated to save three lives by his mother, who is employed with a private hospital in Mira Road. His eyes too were donated.
On October 20, at 7.30pm, Pratik Uchil, a resident of Mira Road, was riding pillion with a friend. The rider lost control of the two-wheeler on Kashimira flyover and skid. Pratik, who was employed with a travel agency in Malad, fell on the road and was run over by a vehicle coming from the opposite direction. He was not wearing a helmet.
Pratik was taken to the nearby Orbit Hospital and later moved to Wockhardt Hospital in Mira Road, where doctors declared him brain dead on Saturday . Pratik's mother Rupa, who has been working in the billing department of Wockhardt Hospital since five years, decided to donate his organs. Hospital authorities said Rupa was aware of the organ donation drive after an awareness programme was held at the hospital.
The city has seen 50 cadaver donations so far this year. Crusaders of organ donation are hopeful that it will breach the record number of 58 donations last year.
- Wockhardt Hospital female staff goes pink in October09 Oct, 2018
- City doc saves critically ill patient of split aorta, a rare heart defect : Wockhardt Hospital, Nagpur22 Aug, 2018
- Hosp staffer donates brain-dead son's organs to save 3 lives20 Aug, 2018
- Mumbai’s Wockhardt hospital becomes the first one in India to have ENLS certified emergency staff12 Aug, 2018
- Zahabiya Khorakiwala MD talk about the trailblazing progress of Wockhardt Hospitals18 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt sets up 13-bed dialysis unit in South Mumbai with 3 extra beds for hepatitis B/C, HIV positive patients16 Jul, 2018
- Mumbai doctor removes 1.7kg gall bladder cyst, may have set world record10 Jul, 2018
- Nine-months-old boy youngest to undergo successful liver transplant06 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt organises programme to improve patient’s clinical outcomes06 Jul, 2018
- Wockhardt hospital starts haematology, haemato oncology, BMT facility in north Mumbai suburb04 Jul, 2018