“Next to creating a life, the finest thing a man can do is save one” – Abraham Lincoln
Shantaram Bamne, a 45-year-old Vashigaon resident, who works as an ambulance driver at Sterling Wockhardt hospital in Vashi, saved the life of a biker who had met with an accident on the Sion-Panvel highway recently. While motorists paused to see the injured youth profusely bleeding on the road, Bamne took the biker in a taxi to the hospital 500 metres away.
The 22-year-old victim, Farhan Pasta, who resides with his uncle at Colaba, had bumped into a rainwater-filled pothole after crossing the Vashi toll plaza. A speeding truck from behind ran over him and dragged him for some distance which severely damaged his internal organs.
Bamne said, "On September 19, I was returning home in a borrowed car after finishing some work in Chembur. Around 4pm, when I crossed the plaza, I saw a crowd gathered abutting the highway, and a biker lying on road with his body covered with a plastic sheet. A traffic cop was waving at vehicles but no one halted as it was raining heavily. I stopped to help the cop, when a passing taxi halted behind. The cop put the youth in the taxi to take him to NMMC hospital in Vashi. But the youth seemed critical, so I suggested he be taken to Sterling Wockhardt. Doctors operated on the youth and saved him as he was brought quickly."
Dr. Abhijit Bagul, trauma care surgeon at Sterling Wockhardt, said, "Pasta had to undergo three surgeries as he sustained a major abdominal injury, pelvis fracture, urinary bladder rupture and multiple fractures of his limbs. His condition was critical. Even the truck tyre mark was visible on his abdomen. With prompt medical care, we resuscitated the patient."
Big congratulations to Dr Abhijit Bagul, Trauma care surgeon at Wockhardt Hospitals Vashi and clinical team members and Mr Shantaram Bamne, Ambulance Driver who proved “Life wins’.
Online Link : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/navi-mumbai/ambulance-driver-saves-sobo-biker-hurt-due-to-pothole/articleshow/60963661.cms
- Care Wins, Life Wins : Doctor creates controlled heart attack for good cause! : Wockhardt Hospital SOBO01 Mar, 2019
- Care Wins, Life Wins : Rare case of Cortication of Aorta treated successfully : Wockhardt Hospital Nashik25 Jan, 2019
- 82-year-old man first from Central India to get leadless pacemaker implanted27 Dec, 2018
- Mumbai: Man has stroke, unlocked cell phone saves life10 Dec, 2018
- No silicone implants in breasts, doctors tell Australia woman who underwent operation in Thailand10 Dec, 2018
- Four critical patients get new lease of life10 Dec, 2018
- 15 children undergo heart surgery at Wockhardt10 Dec, 2018
- Wockhardt Hospital, SOBO Launches a Diabetes Clinic Powered by Wellthy Therapeutics10 Dec, 2018
- Key to saving your life: Don't lock your phone03 Dec, 2018
- Wockhardt Hospitals awarded "Best clinical practices of the year award" at Navabharat Value Based Healthcare Summit and Awards 201815 Nov, 2018