Four year old mistakenly drank acid
10 Oct, 2016

facebookTwitter LinkdinGoogle Plus

A four-and-a-half-year-old Mira Road boy, who allegedly drank concentrated sulphuric acid mistaking it for water in April, is back to his burgers and pizzas.

  • Four year old mistakenly drank acid
    Four year old mistakenly drank acid

Rajveer Kanojia, a kindergarten student, was all set to go on a pilgrimage with his parents and elder sister in the first week of April. As his father Sunny, a taxi driver, waited for the car battery to start, he placed a plastic bottle containing concentrated sulphuric acid on the table. Thinking it to be water, Rajveer drank around 15 ml of the liquid.

"Rajveer was brought to hospital with brutal injuries to the abdomen and food pipe. Though conscious, the boy was dehydrated and his condition was life-threatening," recalled Dr Lalit Verma, consultant paediatric gastroenterologist, Wockhardt Hospital, Mira Road.

After four endoscopies and months of zero food intake through the mouth, Rajveer is back to jumping and dancing, said his mother Asha. Rajveer is even back to school.

After consuming the liquid, Rajveer started coughing and vomiting blood. Fortunately, Sunny saw his son drinking the liquid and snatched away the bottle. "Fortunately his respiratory track was not affected,' said Dr Verma.  

While food intake through the mouth was stopped completely, a gastro-jejunal feeding tube was placed in the small intestine through laparoscopy on day three and liquid food was given," said Dr Verma. A protein-rich diet and medium chain triglyceride diet was started to meet caloric requirement, he added.

What followed was endoscopy at regular intervals to monitor his condition. His final endoscopy before doctors declared him out-of-danger was done two weeks ago, following which Rajveer was given the go-ahead to eat solid food. The boy has begun eating rice, dal, chappati, even pizzas, said Dr Verma.

Rajveer, however, will have to keep returning for a relook endoscopy every six months. Thereafter, he will have to continue undergoing endoscopy every five years "as there is a one per cent chance that it may lead to cancer in later years," explained Dr Verma. For now, Rajveer, weighing a good 20kg, is enjoying all the solid food.

Other News

News

  • City doc saves critically ill patient of split aorta, a rare heart defect : Wockhardt Hospital, Nagpur
    22 Aug, 2018
  • Hosp staffer donates brain-dead son's organs to save 3 lives
    20 Aug, 2018
  • Mumbai’s Wockhardt hospital becomes the first one in India to have ENLS certified emergency staff
    12 Aug, 2018
  • Zahabiya Khorakiwala MD talk about the trailblazing progress of Wockhardt Hospitals
    18 Jul, 2018
  • Wockhardt sets up 13-bed dialysis unit in South Mumbai with 3 extra beds for hepatitis B/C, HIV positive patients
    16 Jul, 2018
  • Mumbai doctor removes 1.7kg gall bladder cyst, may have set world record
    10 Jul, 2018
  • Wockhardt organises programme to improve patient’s clinical outcomes
    06 Jul, 2018
  • Nine-months-old boy youngest to undergo successful liver transplant
    06 Jul, 2018
  • Wockhardt hospital starts haematology, haemato oncology, BMT facility in north Mumbai suburb
    04 Jul, 2018
  • Leptospirosis claims three lives in Mumbai
    04 Jul, 2018