Over 1,000 healthcare workers and doctors participated in a mass breast cancer awareness drive organised by a city based hospital.
The drive was organised on Friday following studies that stated that breast cancer was rising more rapidly than cervical cancer among Indian women, eapecially young women including teenagers.
Analysis by the Indian Council of Medical Research showed that 10 out of every 100,000 women living in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 compared to 23 for every 100,000 women in 2015.
Medical experts have also said that the incidence of breast cancer has overtaken cervical cancer, cited as the most frequent cancer in Indian women.
"It has been recognised for years that the combination of early diagnosis and effective treatment has resulted in significant improvement in the overall cure rate for patients with breast cancer," said Meghal Sanghvi, consultant oncology surgeon at Wockhardt Hospital.
"Through such awareness campaign, we would like to encourage early testing for quicker diagnosis. Treatment parameters change upon diagnosis, which leads to better prognosis in the long run," said Sanghvi, who organised the event.
- 82-year-old man first from Central India to get leadless pacemaker implanted27 Dec, 2018
- Four critical patients get new lease of life10 Dec, 2018
- Mumbai: Man has stroke, unlocked cell phone saves life10 Dec, 2018
- No silicone implants in breasts, doctors tell Australia woman who underwent operation in Thailand10 Dec, 2018
- Wockhardt Hospital, SOBO Launches a Diabetes Clinic Powered by Wellthy Therapeutics10 Dec, 2018
- 15 children undergo heart surgery at Wockhardt10 Dec, 2018
- Key to saving your life: Don't lock your phone03 Dec, 2018
- Wockhardt Hospitals awarded "Best clinical practices of the year award" at Navabharat Value Based Healthcare Summit and Awards 201815 Nov, 2018
- Wockhardt Hospital female staff goes pink in October09 Oct, 2018
- City doc saves critically ill patient of split aorta, a rare heart defect : Wockhardt Hospital, Nagpur22 Aug, 2018